Friday, March 9, 2012

RIP Greg Novak

I just read on the Volley & Bayonet Yahoo Group List that Greg Novak passed away recently.  Originally I was going to post a follow up on a hobby project but thought I would at least pay mention to what I can only describe as a legend to our hobby.  Guys like Greg have advanced wargaming to the wonderful hobby we know it as today in my opinion.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Greg, but I do own quite a few of his works and I can tell you that if his past products are any guide, then we have all felt quite a loss.  I have never read more scholarly or more intensely researched material on the American War for Independence or other conflicts.  With guys like Greg Novak and Frank Chadwick - if you saw their name on the rules, you knew it was high-quality and elegant work.  Thank you Greg!  You will be missed.

2 comments:

  1. I met Greg at the three big Command Decision games known as the Command Cons in the '90's. Very pleasant, knowledgeable fellow. His contributions to our hobby will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to meet both him and Frank Chadwick. I was fascinated to learn that Frank used to game at a club I belong to in the Lehigh Valley in eastern PA.

    Greg's work is hard to beat. I have his AWI source books, his ACW supplement for V&B, as well as CD3 and I was a big fan. Together, he and Frank have published some of the best, most realistic and elegant wargames I've ever played.

    ReplyDelete