Wednesday, February 13, 2013

More British - Shako British Battalion

These fellows are most likely from the 24th Foot (South Wales Borderers).  I'm not sure which Battalion fought in the Peninsula War however these are most likely them!  I'm not too happy with how they turned out but maybe I started to get sloppy as I saw the light at the end of the tunnel for my Nappy Infantry.

 Now I only have some Cavalry Units, and a few odds and ends to knock out before I'm done with my 20mm Nappies for this year anyways.  I "may" complete another Portuguese Infantry Battalion or 2 since I only have Shako 1 Battalion of them now and I'm thinking it would be nice to have some more.  But with all of the other guys I have in the queue, that won't happen until Spring.
NCO urges the troops to march just a little bit longer

slogging through the grass after a rain


battle-weary troops



march column


11 comments:

  1. They look great Steve. You're a busy man!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      It's unbelievable. Between fixing up a house, helping out with our 7 month old, going to work, I have no idea how I find time to paint. But somehow I manage to sneak in a few figures here and there, and once in awhile, when the stars align - a game!

      My job also affords me an interesting schedule so I have days off in the middle of the week occasionally when the Mrs and the rest of the world is at work. It helps I suppose...(between you and me though, I'm NOT at home painting figures, I'm at the house painting the kitchen :)

      Thanks for commenting,

      Steve

      Delete
    2. Just out of interest Steve, have you played the large scale Shako version whereby a unit represents a Division? ... Sounds intriguing but I've not actually seen any reports on it.

      Keep up the great work!

      Steve

      Delete
    3. I have not yet played the large battles version. I also thought it sounded neat but have not wrapped my head around the concepts yet...

      From what I am understanding - it plays almost exactly like "regular" Shako, however units are Divisions and are much, much larger - like double, triple, or quadruple their size from the Division level game.

      Also - skirmisher and light infantry combat is more abstracted.

      It looks neat and the idea behind the "big battle" is certainly appealing.

      For my Operational-Level Fixes, I usually play Volley and Bayonet, but will give big Shako a look.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, John. I am not as happy with this batch but they'll have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work. I am afraid a really good comment I wrote I could not post because Windows 8 is a pile of S*** and I had to log out and then log in again. anyway great work and remember that the light at the end of the tunnel is reached sooner by those who walk and not trip than those who run and fall often....

    ... oh that's what I was going to say! Yes the guy in the top photo at the front right appears to have a nose bleed, even if its not intentional it looks cool and does give him a wearing look, like a man coming back from the fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gowan. Truer words were never spoken! I do like how their faces turned out. They have a particularly "battle-hardened" look to them.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil. I am most likely going to take all my Brits and re-base them for 2 x rank deep stands.

      Delete