Monday, March 4, 2013

BAOR British Regulars: Hameln Bridge Assault

Here is the first batch of my British attack force for the Hameln Bridge Operation, an up-coming Seek Out, Close With, & Destroy game I'm planning for something in the near future.  Second batch is still waiting for their uniforms, but are equally as important as they have the 2 GPMG Sections!!  They will be fighting against Soviet VDV Airborne Troops to seize the Bridge over the Weser River in Hameln, Germany sometime in the early 1980s.

Troops are from 2 excellent sets - the ESCI NATO Troops, and Caesar Modern British Army.  The reader will kindly excuse the presence of "ultra modern" kit, however the ESCI guys had a very distinct lack of poses and I needed more troops to seize the position...

This is my first go at DPM camouflage and I got "advice" via the internet from "Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog" at this link.  He gives an excellent tutorial on how to paint DPM camo and it turns out, the order in which you apply the colors is almost as important as the colors themselves.  The British troopers will ride into battle in the very un-sexy FV432 cleverly disguised as an even less-sexier M113 APC, but they will be very grateful for the added firepower via the .50 caliber machine guns.

Working on a West German Territorial Army unit now which will also take part in the assault with a host of troops and an M48 tank.  This should be an excellent battle with elite but lightly equipped Soviet troops, British Regulars with no armour, and West German Reservists with an M48 tank.
Part of a British Fireteam.  I love the mix of weapons including the SLR, and of course the classic Sterling!  

British fireteam with SLRs, and SA80s, including an under-barrel GL.

pour it on, lads!  Ivan's had it!!

Light Support Weapon.  Costs less than a SAW (minimi) in SOCW&D

I think the camo turned out pretty OK.

Squad moving out





What's nice about these guys is I can use them as Falklands Brits just painting some of the berets maroon or green for Paras or Marines.  My West Germans could easily serve as Argies, and if I am lazy enough, I could just use my Vietnam Americans as them.  That would be a fun game - just need to find a 1/72 Scorpion tank - any ideas?  Brands?  Models?

So next up will be either the West German M48 tank, or the West German TA Squads. Once completed, I need to finish some buildings and rubble for old Hameln, Germany, and then we're ready to rock.  Probably won't come close to finishing this week as things are busy at work, however the following week is looking more promising.


10 comments:

  1. They look good!
    I had a try at DPM today just for fun, it is very hard to do, but yours captures the look very well.

    There is the Airfix kit for Scorpion, the same one I used for Iranians. It is old but may be the only option. You may also like to have a look at S&S stuff: you could find something useful for the Brits, Soviets or Germans-
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/103028069/MOD%2020MM%202013PDF.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ben, try out the link I posted yesterday. It was really helpful and I tried to follow his patterns to the stroke. unfortunately my brushes are too thick, but the technique is solid and I think it turned out nicely for wargaming anyways.

      thanks for the tip! I will check out S&S for the scorpion. I have heard nothing but good things about them too. How expensive is their shipping?

      Delete
    2. Happily shipping is included in the price of the models!
      So just calculate what models you buy and it is the total. Just remember to convert to dollars, that can be a nasty surprise :D

      Delete
    3. Ben,
      That's great news! I buy 10mm Fantasy from Kallistra from time to time so believe me I am well aware of "currency conversion shock" :)

      Delete
  2. nice work on the Brits! I cannot wait to see the games... but of coarse take all the time you need don't rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gowan. the games are going to be epic that's for sure. Tanks, APCs, ATGMs, etc. I've never played a skirmish game with this many toys before - all based off of the storyline in Ralph Peters' "Red Army." thanks for commenting!

      Steve

      Delete
  3. Meant to comment yesterday. The last two posts look good, nice work on the DPM and thanks for sharing the link. Looking forward to seeing the West Germans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. Hopefully be posting the rest of the Brits soon then I can knock out the West Germans and get on with the fight! Thanks for commenting!

      Steve

      Delete
  4. Excellent DPM Steven, its one of those tricky schemes as you have found out. I found a toothpick is just about right for the black swirls.

    Ten out of ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Especially for the high mark! Overall I'm happy with them but I will try out the toothpick deal with the next section.

      Delete